Two Illinois women plead guilty for their roles in the attack on the Capitol on January 6

Two sisters from Illinois – including one from Chicago – pleaded guilty on Wednesday to participating in the Jan. 6 riot at the United States Capitol, and now each face up to six months in prison.

Sentencing of Trudy Castle and Kimberly DiFrancesco is scheduled for November 22 in US District Court in Washington DC

Castle, who told U.S. District Court Judge Christopher Cooper that she managed a skyscraper in downtown Chicago, pleaded guilty to one misdemeanor count of marching, demonstrating or picketing in a Capitol building. DiFrancesco, who lives in Elmhurst and has a master’s degree in commerce, pleaded guilty to the same charge.

Feds say they became aware of the couple after someone shared photos that were texted to their wife by Kimberly DiFrancesco. Authorities said they then found footage of Kimberly DiFrancesco wearing a red hoodie, green pants, a black jacket and a black backpack approaching the door to the Senate wing of the Capitol at 2:19 p.m. on 6 January 2021.

Five minutes later, they said the same woman could be seen entering the Capitol through the Senate wing door. Next to her was a woman, believed to be Castle, wearing a white jacket, dark pants and a knit “Trump” beanie, carrying several small American flags and a black satchel .

The women reportedly went from the northwest side of the building to the elevator lobby near the visitor center on the southeast side of the building. At one point, authorities said Castle could be seen walking through a security door that had been used unsuccessfully in an attempt to block access to a hallway. As it opened, Castle allegedly used his arm either to protect his head or to move the door up. Kimberly DiFrancesco could be seen following her, according to the records.

From there, authorities said the women could be seen making their way to the lower-level visitor center, where Kimberly DiFrancesco appeared to be talking on a portable radio.

The women left the building at 3:02 p.m. but did not leave the area, authorities said. They allegedly sat outside and encountered a man the Feds identified as Castle’s adult son.

At 4:21 p.m., the women reportedly tried to return to the Capitol. But law enforcement repelled the rioters this time and the women appeared to leave. At 4:33 p.m., they were seen on the north side of the building.

Comments are closed.