Felon charged with murder after DNA connects him to deadly Chatham shooting


A criminal on parole has been charged with the murder of a crippled pot dealer after investigators were able to link his DNA to a blood test he left while fleeing the victim’s apartment building in Chatham.

Printiss Jones, 25, was found wounded in the head and arm on January 4 at 7 p.m. by Chicago police officers responding to a shooting call at Jones’ apartment in the 7800 block of South Indiana Avenue.

Six minutes later, after receiving another call from an injured person, officers found Andrew McCullum with a bullet in his hand about half a mile from 76th Street and Yale Avenue, the Assistant Cook County Lawyer James Murphy.

McCullum, 26, first said he was shot where police found him, but later said he was injured near 76th Street and Lafayette Avenue, said Murphy.

Police say no shots were fired at either location McCullum gave that night.

McCullum left a trail of blood near Jones’ building, Murphy said.

McCullum was treated and released to an area hospital that night. Jones died soon after.

Andrew McCullum
Chicago Police

McCullum and an accomplice reportedly went to Jones’ apartment to sell a gun, although prosecutors did not clarify who the intended buyer and seller were.

Jones, who couldn’t use his legs due to his paralysis, sold marijuana from his apartment and kept a gun for his protection, Murphy said.

When McCullum and his accomplice arrived, Jones was sitting on an air mattress on the floor, hanging out with his brother and girlfriend, Murphy said.

After Jones’ girlfriend went into the kitchen for a drink of water and returned, she allegedly saw McCullum above the Jones cohort and McCullum searching behind the air mattress.

Then gunshots rang out. Jones’ girlfriend hid behind the refrigerator and McCullum and the other man fled the building, Murphy said.

Outside, McCullum, who had taken Jones ‘pistol, fired several shots at Jones’ brother, who was standing in an alley behind the building with someone else, Murphy said.

A Chicago Police ShotSpotter recorded McCullum and his accomplice fleeing the scene with guns in hand, Murphy said.

McCullum was taken into custody on Wednesday after investigators found McCullum’s DNA matched the trail of blood near Jones’ building, Murphy said.

Jones’ brother and girlfriend have identified McCullum’s cohort in a series of photos, but he has yet to be charged, prosecutors said.

McCullum was sentenced to 18 years in prison in 2010 for armed robbery and released on parole in 2019, state records show.

He is expecting his first child and doing babysitting work in a living room, said deputy public defender to Judge Susana Ortiz.

Ortiz ordered McCullum to be held on $ 750,000 bail Friday.

If he is able to post bail, the judge recommended that McCullum be placed under electronic surveillance.

McCullum is expected to return to court on June 15.

Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.