Chicago shootings: 9 shots, 3 fatalities, Wednesday


Nine people were shot, including three fatally, Wednesday in Chicago, including a man who was shot while driving in Gresham.

A gunman in another car, possibly a silver SUV, opened fire around 12:20 p.m. in the 7900 block of South Ashland Avenue, Chicago police said. The man, 31, was shot in the chest and taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

A man was killed and another injured in a shootout in the East Garfield Park neighborhood. The men, 28 and 36, were outside when gunshots erupted in the 2800 block of West Warren Avenue at 8 a.m., police said. Someone took the men to Mount Sinai Hospital, where the 28-year-old man was pronounced dead with gunshot wounds to his body. He has been identified as Brandon Smiley of Lawndale, the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office said. The other man was listed in serious condition with gunshot wounds to his arm and thigh.

A man was shot as he opened his door in Auburn Gresham on the South Side. The 60-year-old heard the doorbell and walked to the front door of his home in the 2000 block of West 83rd Street around 2 a.m., police said. A family member heard a gunshot and found the man lying in the doorway with a gunshot wound to his forehead. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

In non-fatal shootings, two teenagers were injured in a shooting on the Far South Side. They were outside at around 9:20 p.m. in the 400 block of 134th Street East when someone opened fire, hitting them both, police said. A 17-year-old boy was shot in the back and taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center in critical condition. Another 16-year-old boy was shot in the foot and taken to Roseland Community Hospital, where he was in good condition.

Earlier today, a 17-year-old boy was injured in a shooting in Brighton Park in the southwest. He was walking around 5:30 p.m. in the 4900 block of South Kedzie Avenue when someone shot from a vehicle, police said. The teenager was shot in the leg and transported undamaged to Holy Cross Hospital.

A man was injured in a drive-by in Englewood on the South Side. At around 1:35 a.m., the 25-year-old was in the back seat of a vehicle when a black Jeep pulled up beside him in the 7100 block of South Racine Street and fired several shots in his vehicle, police said. He was hit on the back and taken to Saint-Bernard Hospital where his condition stabilized.

In the first reported shooting today, a Chicago police officer shot a man who had just shot two people in Gresham, but the man fled after barricading himself in a house, reported authorities. Officers on patrol saw the man pulling from an alley in a garage on the 8300 block of South Kerfoot Avenue at around 12:30 a.m. An officer shot the man once, but it was not known if he had been hit. They discovered two men in the garage who had been shot by the suspect. A 60-year-old man was shot in the thigh and a man in his 50s was shot in the leg. Both were taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center, where the 60-year-old was in good condition and the young man in serious condition. After fleeing from the scene, the man barricaded himself inside a house. A SWAT team intervened and surrounded the house for about eight hours. Later Wednesday morning, police said the standoff was over but no one was in custody.

Fourteen people were shot dead, including one fatal, across the city on Tuesday.

Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.